Skip to main content

A Day Trip to the Basin Lake Area of Algonquin

I spent a day hiking a cluster of trails off of the Basin Depot Road in Algonquin Provincal Park. My day started at the Charles Lafleaur Homestead trail and ended at Buck Lake, which is a drive-in backcountry campsite. In between, I hiked three more trails and stopped to check out a historic building at Basin Depot. 

The Charles Lafleur Homestead

The first trail of the day was a short 0.88km round-trip trail, accessed just off of Basin Depot Rd. There's a small grass parking lot right off the road,  the trail itself is cut grass that runs from the parking lot to the historical homestead. At the homestead, there are a few decaying buildings alongside two log cabins that are being maintained. The buildings are locked, and there isn't anything to see through the windows. A few dozen signs scattered around the homestead, telling you about the history of the place. 

Historic homestead building.

Whispering Winds (Egg Rock)

The second trail of the day was Whispering Winds (Egg Rock). I'm not sure why it goes by two names but it is listed as Egg Rock on Google Maps. The trail is 0.7km round trip and climbs 51 meters in elevation to a nice view point over Couchain and Stringers Lakes. The trail is dirt and rock, and has a bit of growth on the sides. To access the trail pull over on the side of road as there is no parking lot. 

 
Egg Rock trailhead.

View from Egg Rock.

Payne's Pine Trail

The third trail of the day was a short drive away from the previous one. Payne's Pine Trail goes through a pine plantation and along the side of Stringers Lake. It's a very nice trail, clearly marked but also very overgrown. Thankfully, mainly with ferns and not tall grass. It is a 2.5 km loop trail, that is mainly dirt. To access the trail pull over on the side of road, as there is no parking lot. When I hiked it, I had a swarm of flies following me the whole time, so I'd recommend bug spray, long sleeves, and pants. 

Payne's Pine Trail.

Between the trees.

Stringers Lake.
 
Find the trail.

White Admiral Butterfly.

 Basin Depot  

After Payne's Pines trail, I made a quick stop at Basin Depot. It houses the oldest standing building in the park. The cabin was built in 1892 as a kind of hospital to serve diphtheria patients. After that, it was used as a harness shop, post office, school and finally a ranger cabin. It was restored in the '80s and moved to its current location around that time too. The door is unlocked, and inside the cabin is a little information about it, and a set of stairs leading upstairs. Upstairs is just empty, with signs saying not to walk on the floor. Across the road from the cabin is the ruins of Basin Depot village with a short trail, but I didn't explore it. 

Basin Depot Cabin.

Road to Basin Lake. You would need good clearance. 

High Falls Trail

High Falls Trail is just a short distance up from Basin Depot. There is no parking lot, so I just pulled over on the side of the road. The trail follows an old logging road for most of the way, until it veers off down to the waterfall. Hiking the trail, you almost continuously hear running water, which makes you think you're getting close, but it's just the rapids in the river that the trail parallels. The trail is 4.5km round trip. Once the trail splits from the old road, you go down a steep slope to the first of a series of three waterfalls. You then turn left and climb down a very small cliff to get to the main swimming hole. Once I got down to the swimming hole, I just couldn't resist going for a swim. The water was lovely, and there was a slight current, but the river is shallow enough away from the plunge pool that there isn't a worry about getting swept downriver. On the walk back to the car, refreshed from the swim, I noticed a few old-growth white pines and a maple along the trail that I hadn't noticed on the way in, those trees were huge.  

High Falls Trail.

Old growth White Pine.

Falls, Plunge Pool and rock barrier.

Plunge pool. Great swimming spot.

High falls above the plunge pool.

The first of three falls.

The first of three falls, with the rapids behind. 
 

McIntyre's Clearing Trail

This was the most disappointing part of the day. The public road ends at the hydro line, and from there it splits in two, but its private logging roads that you can only walk down. If you follow the road along the hydro line, you'd eventually end up at the McKaskill Ranger Cabin, over 10km away. There is a road that goes north of the hydro line that is part of the McIntyre's Clearing Trail. To access the trail, you park at the fork in the road and walk down the logging road for a bit until you see the trail sign off to the left. This was a very poorly maintained trail, without pink flagging tape, you wouldn't even know it was a trail. The trail winds through the ferns and trees for a few meters until it comes to a clearing full of ferns. This isn't McIntyre's Clearing, from what I could tell, the actual clearing should be down by the river, but this was as far as I would go, as the trail disappeared, there was no more flagging tape, and I didn't feel like bushwhacking to a clearing that may not exist anymore. The failed hike ended up being 1.4km round trip. Near the fork in the road is a campsite labeled as Bonnechere Put In, the idea behind the site is that you camp there before you start the long trek along the hydro corridor, but it doesn't look like anyone has camped for a very long time there, and as of right now its not even bookable on the parks site. Not to mention the hydro line emits a low buzzing sound the whole time.   

Bonnechere Put In campsite.

The scar of Algonquin-the hydro cut. 

Could use a new stop sign. 

Sign for the trail along the logging road.

You can just make out a trail thanks to the flagging tape.

Clearing where I lost the trail. 

Buck Lake

 The last stop of my adventure in the Basin Lake area was Buck Lake. It's a lake located just off of Basin Depot Rd. The lake has one campsite, and is right on the road. It was a fairly nice site, and it could definitely fit a trailer, which is rare for the backcountry. The site has water access but not a great swimming location, as its all weedy. Apparently there is brook trout in the lake. 

Buck Lake from the campsite.

Buck Lake campsite.

Thanks for coming along on my adventure to the Basin Depot Rd area of Algonquin Provincial Park. I didn't end up seeing a person all day, even though it was Saturday. 

 Make sure to subscribe for more. 

You can follow me on Instagram or Threads @iainwf

Popular posts from this blog

A Wildlife-Packed Weekend at Murphy's Point Provincial Park

Our latest camping trip was to Murphy's Point Provincial Park on June 19–20. We stayed at site 197, which we'd stayed at before back in 2021. Murphy's Point is great as it's about a 1.5-hour drive from my home in Ottawa, and it's a well-managed and well-kept park. I find there are always people around, but it never books up fully, and the sites are spread far enough apart to make it feel private. We like site 197 as it's a bit on its own, and is right beside a water tap and a short walk to the vault toilets, or a bit longer walk to the comfort station if that's more your style. Once we had camp all set up, we wanted to go for a hike before it rained, as it was calling for scattered storms later that evening. Since my wife and I had been to this park before, we had done most of the trails except for Loon Lake (which is a loop) and McParlan House Trail (which is a there-and-back trail that branches off the Loon Lake Loop). My wife is pregnant, so we wanted som...

Four Days, Ten Lakes, and a Thunderstorm: My Fall Canoe Trip in Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park

 My last backcountry canoe trip of the year was to Kawartha Highlands Provincial Park. This was my first time in the park. I started the trip on October 4–7. The trip comprised 43.51 km total, of which 13.6 km was portaging. I double-carried each portage, which meant I ended up walking each one three times. Day 1. I left Ottawa around 7 a.m. and drove to Madoc, where I charged my car for about 20 minutes. I got to the access point around 10:45 a.m. After unpacking the car and parking, I got on the water around 11 a.m. Long Lake is a very pretty lake and sure lives up to its name. You essentially go straight for a long time until you hit Loucks Lake. It would be impossible for anyone to get lost on Long Lake as it’s super narrow. Loucks Lake has a bunch more cottages than Long Lake did, which made finding the first portage a bit of a challenge. It ended up being right beside someone’s cottage which, as someone used to Algonquin, I found a bit odd. However, before I got to my first ...

Godda and Booth Lake Trip Report: Algonquin Provincial Park Solo Trip

 My longest back country camping trip this year was into Algonquin Provincial Park. I went from September 16-19, 4 days and 3 nights. Originally my plan was to stay until the 20th but circumstances forced me to change my original route. Originally, I had planned on going from the Shall Lake Access Point(17) to Godda Lake for one night, then head down to Boot Lake for two nights, up to Booth Lake for one night, then home. However, during my first day, I realized that I had overestimated my capability to portage with a 75 pound canoe, and I had planned too long of a route. I altered my plans and instead spent two nights on Godda Lake and one night on Booth Lake.  Day 1: I got to the access point at 11:10am and had everything unpacked and loaded into the canoe by 11:25am. I made my way through Farm Lake (which has super clear water) to the first portage into Kitty Lake. The portage was only 100M and was the first of the trip. It took 10 minutes to double carry. I was able to do t...

Six Days Alone in Algonquin: Canoe Lake to White Trout and Back

Six Days Alone in Algonquin: Canoe Lake to White Trout and Back My first back country canoe trip of 2025 was to what is normally the busiest part of Algonquin. I left on May 4th from Canoe Lake and returned on May 9th to Canoe Lake. In between, I stayed on Rainbow, McIntosh, Misty, White Trout, and Sunbeam Lakes, each for one night.  The total distance for the trip was 99.07 km, as recorded on Strava. The way I recorded my days on Strava didn’t differentiate between paddling and portaging, but I did roughly 36.03 km of portaging. I double-carried each portage, so I did each portage length three times.   Waterfall between Timberwolf and Misty Lake   Day One – Canoe Lake to Rainbow Lake: 12.18 km, 4 hours 17 minutes I recently got a new car this winter -a Chevy Equinox EV. Since this was my first time traveling with a canoe on the EV, I was interested to see how much it would affect my range. I left Ottawa at 98% and got to Bancroft with around 30%. From there, I charged ...

Doe Lake Trail In Frontenac Provincial Park

I wanted to get one more large hike in before winter, so I went back to Frontenac Provincial Park. I had been once already this year, back in September. That time I went solo, as my wife was away on a trip. This time, I was able to bring my wife on the hike. We got a day pass from the Ottawa Public Library (check out your local library — they have so much stuff!) and booked our DVP over the phone, as I couldn’t figure out how to book one with the library pass online. We left Ottawa around 8:45am and got to the parking lot in the park just before 11. We parked at the Salmon Lake parking lot. From there, we hiked down the Corridor Trail until it met up with the Dedication Trail, which we went South on. At the end of that trail, we turned right and continued down towards Doe Lake. From there, we went around Doe Lake and met up with the Corridor Trail again, which took us back to the Salmon Lake parking lot. In total, it was 13.25 km in length and took us 3 hours and 36 minutes to comple...